Monday, December 28, 2009

Trying New Things

Sadly, I have to admit I’ve barely been to my vegetable garden in a month!  With all the Holiday “stuff” I’ve shifted it off my “to do” list almost daily.  Well, no more.  Recently, I made it a priority!

I planted lots of fall and winter vegetables, so I was excited to see what, if anything, might be available for harvesting. Boy was I thrilled!  I pulled amazing radishes for our Christmas Eve dinner.  I’ve never had radishes any way but raw, so this year I decided to try something new…roasting them.  After washing the radishes and cutting off the green tops, I cut them into chunks.  The chunks got tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper and then were put in a baking dish and cooked in a 350-degree oven for about 40 minutes.  Thinking I might need to disguise the morsels for my family to try them, I mixed them in with roasted zucchini chunks.  My kids were not excited to try this new dish…but after one bite they asked when they could have roasted radishes again and could I please not bother with the zucchini! Success!  

Currently out of the country enjoying a much-anticipated family vacation, I know when we return to Atlanta I will have lots of greens to harvest including arugula and other types of lettuces, collards, kale and Swiss chard.  I even have snow peas and beets coming in!

Soon it will be time to start dreaming of planting the spring garden…I’ll start my seeds indoors under grow lights in late January or early February, so next week I’ll start ordering from the seed catalogs.  I’m thinking of trying some melons and unique beans in 2010.  I’m feeling the need to be a little bold with my recent radish success.

No comments:

Post a Comment