Thursday, April 15, 2010

One of these eggs is not like the other...


One of these eggs is not like the other is an understatement.  One of them is HUGE!  I would have been shocked this afternoon when I collected the eggs from the hen house had this not happened previously.  Yep!  That biggun is a double-yolker!  There are actually two yolks in a single egg.  And, interestingly, the size of the eggs compensates for the two yolks!

From the information I have been able to garner, this rarity occurs one time in every thousand eggs laid.  And even though my hens are 8 plus months old, it usually happens in older laying hens or brand new layers whose mechanisms are still working out the egg producing process.

Laying double yolk eggs is not normal for chickens.  It is a miscommunication in their reproductive tract…probably, in my case, for the chicken laying infrequently whose system is “still figuring it all out”.

So now I’m really interested in buying one of those outdoor cameras that takes a photo, like, every 15 seconds.  I’d like to try to catch one of the hens laying that double yolker!

Now the thing I can’t stop laughing about is what they call a no yoke egg…

It is sometimes referred to as a “wind” egg, but more commonly, as a “fart” egg.   
And I guess I’ll just leave it at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment