Sunday, June 13, 2010

Unexpected Chickens


Today, a biathalon took place, partly, on the street we live on.  I had the chickens out front in their “tractor” grazing, like I do every day.  But today was different…Jeff, my son, was on the front porch, reading, while the race portion of the event took place.  I was out back cleaning the chicken coop.  He texted me that the chickens were a big hit with the runners.  I had to laugh, because they do draw a lot of attention.  As the runners ran by our yard, they would yell out “Chickens!”.  One group of girls actually stopped and watched them for a few minutes before resuming their run.

My husband ran into a former neighbor with his kids the other day and they asked about the chickens.  Michael ended up inviting them back to the house and the kids had a blast and even climbed into the tractor with the chickens.  Luckily, there were eggs in the coop so they had a “take home” from the visit. 

I think the draw of chickens is that they bring us closer to our food sources.  I’m not a loyal locavore, but I appreciate the fact that I know what my chickens eat and that they are well cared for.  (My husband would tell you they live at the Ritz-Carlton…) I know that the eggs they provide are the best quality and they are good for my family!

I suspect the draw also has something to do with the element of the unexpected…

Surrounded by highways and skyscrapers, in my little patch of country in the city, folks run by my house and see chickens in the yard.  “Chickens!”

1 comment: