Friday, July 2, 2010

Back to the Books!


What I like about gardening is that I never accomplish what I set out to achieve.  What I don’t like about gardening is that I never accomplish what I set out to achieve.

Weeds are the bane of all gardeners.  As soon as you finish hours of pulling them they seem to sprout before your eyes.  And no amount of mulch or landscape fabric seems to keep them from appearing.  Even through the cracks and crevices, they find a way to take hold and grow.  This year my garden seems to be particularly  bountiful in the weed department.  And while I ponder a better way to keep them from taking root, I’m scratching my head at the lack of tomatoes growing on the vines.  What am I doing wrong?

I know that the basis of a good garden is soil.  My father-in-law, Tom, and I have amended the soil annually and some areas of the garden look to be healthy while other areas are still dense with red Georgia Clay.  Where is the compost, coir, Nature’s Helper, and mulch going?  Where are the earthworms?

Now don’t get me wrong…we’re harvesting patty pan squash, Fortex pole beans, blackberries, beets, potatoes, and peppers.  All is not lost.  It is just that I can’t figure out why all of my crops aren’t producing, indeed in abundance, the way some are. 

I’m stuck in the house today and decided to take the time to peruse gardening books and magazines looking for wisdom on growing the perfect tomato, the components of healthy soil, beneficial insects and organic pest management.   I’m hopeful that something will “click” and I’ll solve the mysteries.  But in the meantime, I’ll pull the weeds, water and fertilize, mulch and harvest and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment