Thursday, September 3, 2009

Dreaming of Chickens...

Today I got an email from “My Pet Chicken” updating me on the currently available pullets. A pullet is a 10-12 week old chick that is about to begin laying eggs. I can’t tell you how desperately I want chickens…I think they are wonderful creatures, interesting and unique with the added benefit of providing fresh eggs on a daily basis. My family thinks I’m nuts… I think I’m a frustrated farmer. I probably should have been a farmer; but I’m not. I’m a city girl that loves to garden and loves animals. And, I can have chickens (hens only) in the city!

So I’ve been pouring over designs for chicken coops, getting quotes on having fencing attached to my garden for a run and reading everything I can regarding the care and raising of chickens. I have this fantasy that I’m having a big dinner party with my closest friends, the ones that love me in spite of my critters and penchant for taking on too much in my life, and we walk out to my garden to decide what to have for dinner! Can you imagine! How wonderful would it be to collect a few fresh eggs for a hollandaise sauce to drizzle over freshly picked and sautéed asparagus, or beets baked in a horseradish crust, grilled corn with lime butter, grilled pizzas made with fresh picked arugula and basil, freshly made ice cream made with a few more eggs! Yum!

Hubby wants me to slow down a bit. But, in keeping with my nature, I want it all NOW! There will be a full court press this weekend…I’ve got chicken coop designs out to share, adorable pictures of Polish and Silkie chickens (could a chicken be any cuter???), and I’m hoping with some great meals, nice bottles of wine and a little extra attention, I can convince him that now is the perfect time to add a few baby chickens to our nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment