Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Food for my Soul

I've been neglectful... With kids to get off to college and back to school and other life stuff, I "let go" of my wonderful veggie patch; my source of serenity and purpose, for a couple of weeks. Four hours of weeding later, I'm hurting and feeling incredibly re-energized and appreciative of good, honest, hard work. Why did I let two whole weeks go by with out making it out to the garden?

My father in law, Tom, joined me today. A joyful sight greeted us as the zinnias towered over us both! After sort-of making a plan to divide and conquer, Tom tackled the woeful tomatoes (...yanked them out as they are pitiful!) while I pulled gazillions of weeds from the former corn patch and underlying the zinnias. We picked all the tomatoes, green and red (of which there weren't many), re-staked the eggplant, which is still producing amazing fruit, harvested all the acorn and butternut squash (before the squash bugs get them), and attacked the green beans...pulling up the "spent" plants and picking all the beans from the still producing ones. Several large, beautiful green bell peppers were also ready. I'm making stuffed peppers with them this weekend! And, I can't believe it, but there are tons more jalapeno peppers! I guess I'll be making some more jalapeno pickles!

All four of the pups accompanied me to the garden today! They roamed the "pasture" chasing rodents that scampered in and out of the rock walls, chased each other, and generally wore themselves out. When I finally put them in the cab of the truck to drive home, they all found a spot and promptly crashed.

I'm going back to the garden tomorrow morning...and not just because I didn't accomplish everything I had hoped to accomplish today. I need a little more "food for my soul" that only the magic of digging in the dirt delivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment