Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Chicken Pen is Finally Finished!


I’m so tired.  And my dad is worn out, too.  We pushed ourselves hard today, and daddy definitely overdid it.  We completed the last panel and installed it at nightfall.   It was dark! 

First thing this morning, I got up and checked on the chicks in my laundry room.  My olfactory senses were offended….Wow, chicken poop stinks!  (You were right, Lauren!) Daddy and I completed the brooder in my shed first thing, installing the radiant heater, insulating the windows, putting down newspaper and pine shavings, filling the waterer and the feeder.  We transferred the girls to the brooder and waited for them to settle in.  By nightfall they had ventured all over their new space and were eating, drinking, and pooping, happily! And, thankfully, my laundry room no longer smells of chicken excretions.

I have so treasured this week with my dad.  Together, we have actually planned and built a pen for my chickens and it is really nice to look at.  We problem solved, screwed up and figured it out, made adjustments, drilled, nailed and hammered every 2 x 2 together so that no predator can get to the girls.  And, I know it was hard for him, physically demanding, at the least, but he persevered.  He did it and he feels good about it, too.  And, I’m just thrilled. 

He’s had it though.  He’s ready to go home and have a quiet weekend without physical labor and a sun up to sun down schedule.  I get it….But, I will miss him.  I’ve really had fun and I’ve loved doing something special with my dad, just the two of us.  He’s a great guy….interesting, smart, goal oriented, and talented.  How lucky am I?  I said that Daddy can build anything…and he did.

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying following the chicken saga - and glad for you you've got them out of the laundry room. Looking forward to the first egg!

    ReplyDelete