Saturday, August 22, 2009

"Do Overs"

It is a struggle for me to pull out seemingly healthy plants because they are no longer producing at their best. But, this is one of the tasks of succession planting. This week I pulled out the first crop of harticort vert green beans I planted in the spring as the beans were no longer as sweet and tender as I wanted or expected them to be. And, because the second crop is producing wonderfully, I'm ready to use that spot in the garden for something else.

That mass of flattened corn I kept hoping would stand tall again and produce the ridiculously sweet corn my daughter loves...stayed flat on the ground. So, I reluctantly and sadly pulled it all up, too. Time to make room for fall veggies.

Succession planting, or planting the same crop several weeks apart to extend the season of enjoyment of the produce, is something I am committed to. I did it with all my root crops, but for some reason I haven't yet discovered, ALL of my root crops (carrots, radishes and beets) withered and died leaving me with no harvest to speak of. I have prepped a different area of my garden and have purchased new seeds to sow and am hopeful when I put them in the earth next week, that I'll have a beautiful carrots, parsnips and beets this fall.

Being a gardener means that failure doesn't exist. "Do Overs" and "Try Agains" prevail!

No comments:

Post a Comment