Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sharing zinnias

Zinnias are happy, bright flowers. I love them! I think they make people smile so I have lots of them planted in my garden. I love to cut them and give them away. As I was meeting my neighbor for the first time yesterday afternoon, I was in my garden cutting zinnias to give to her as a "nice to meet you gift". Bzzzz.... I kept hearing this buzzing sound as I carefully selected and cut each zinnia. Bzzzzz.... I chalked it up to the bees that were flitting from the nearby squash blossoms to the eggplant blossoms. Bzzzzz....Then I decided to look in the direction of the buzz...

I stood perfectly still and just listened. This is something I find I do more in my garden than anywhere else. I actually take time to enjoy the flowers and the vegetables and my surroundings. I feel like I lose my sense of time and schedule and so it is easier to give myself permission to pause.

The leaves rustled in the slight breeze which was a welcome relief from the late afternoon heat. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a flash of irridescent green on the fencing and realized the buzz was coming from a ruby throated hummingbird. It was quietly sitting on the fencing for my garden above the barely waving zinnias watching me cut them one by one. I stayed perfectly still and just enjoyed the moment.

I love cutting and sharing my zinnias. Now I know I'm sharing the zinnias with the hummingbirds, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment