Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Purple Harvest

I don't have any irrigation at my "farmette", so in periods of dryness, like we've been having of late, I have a rented water tank from which I haul buckets of water to the individual plants in my garden. It's not a lot of fun...and very time consuming. So, I am always very hopeful when I see thunder clouds on the horizon that today it will rain. Today there are thunder clouds on the horizon...

A few days ago I harvested a beautiful eggplant from my garden. Holding the perfectly shaped fruit in my hands I reflected on how amazing it truly is that it didn't succumb to the insects I hand picked off the plants (I'm organic!) and that almost destroyed ALL my eggplant plants at the beginning of the summer, the heavy downpours contrasted with the periods of absolutely no rain...and sometimes no hand-watering, either, and the squirrels...who also love the vegetables I grow in my garden! And, last night I made my world famous (MY world, that is) "Eggplant Parmesan" for my kids. (I will post the recipe...it's worth the effort!)

Laughing around the dinner table enjoying a great meal from my garden is what it is all about for me. And, when my kids excuse themselves for seconds...It was a great day!

Tomorrow I'm going to think about succession planting...I've got to keep those kids coming back for more.


No comments:

Post a Comment