Friday, October 30, 2009

No pumpkins in my garden...


I didn’t grow pumpkins in my garden this year.  Butternut and acorn squash were in abundance, however, and delicious.  At this time of year I always wish I had grown pumpkins just because they are such a sign of the season…and maybe next year I will.  I have enough land to plant them in a mound and just let them grow.  Maybe I’ll grow sugar pumpkins, the variety for pie.  Pumpkin seeds are delicious and I use them in several recipes.  One of my favorite recipes with pumpkin and the seeds is with Halibut.  I get rave reviews when I serve it at dinner parties!

Pumpkin Halibut

Halibut filets (4-6) ( or substitute Sea Bass or a similar fish)

Pumpkin butter (your own or store bought-Whole Foods carry it)
Pepitas (pumpkin seeds), raw, 1-2 T per filet
Bread crumbs or Panko, 1 cup
Old Bay Seasoning, 2 T
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 stick butter

Wash and pat dry the Halibut filets and place in a glass 9 x 12 baking dish prepped with non-stick spray.

In a bowl, microwave the butter until melted then add the breadcrumbs or Panko, Old Bay, and pepper.  Mix well.

Generously spread the pumpkin butter over the top of each filet.  Sprinkle the top of the filet with the breadcrumb mix and then about 1 T of the pepitas.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-45 min depending on thickness of filets.  Check after 20 minutes for doneness.

Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment