Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Dreaming of Spring


This time last year I had seedlings an inch or two tall, hundreds of them dispersed over three folding tables under grow lights in my family room.  My family was none too thrilled with me.  The house smelled of damp earth…heavenly to me, like to dirt to everyone else.

Maybe because the weather has been so uninspiring or perhaps much of my enthusiasm has been dolled out to the chickens, regardless, I’m just now starting my vegetable seeds indoors for spring planting.  I’ve promised my family I won’t over take the family room this year, so I’m being prudent about which seeds to start.  Initially I was a little worried that getting such a late start would be a bad thing, but I’ve decided that last year’s plants were kinda big for transplant…many root bound and the tomatoes definitely outgrew their pots.  I had a poor tomato crop, so maybe this is a good thing that I’m getting a later start than I planned.

This morning, I sterilized the plastic starter pots, am soaking the organic seed starter soil mix and have the seed packets spread out on the kitchen table attempting to prioritize those who need to be planted now under the waiting grow lights.  It is a daunting decision…really! 

With tempting names like Red Currant, Polish Linguista, and Red Zebra…I started all the tomatoes!  And I couldn’t resist the Lemondrop Basil.  Of course, ignoring the peppers was impossible, so Giant Marconi, Early Crisp and Ancho are safely nestled in their dirt beds ready to germinate!  Black Beauty and Fairy Tale eggplant as well as the Tomatillo Gigante are also currently enjoying a solar bed experience!  In the next few weeks tiny seedlings should start to poke their heads through the soil and then I’ll know Spring is truly just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment