Monday, February 22, 2010

Great Eggs-pectations!


Maybe because my baby girl, Jessie, is graduating from High school in a few short weeks and I’m looking for something to fill the void of her leaving for college, or maybe I’m looking for something needing a little nurturing…Either way, I don’t think my daughter would be too thrilled to know that my chickens are her replacement!  I am finding keeping chickens incredibly rewarding.  I had no idea how much fun they could be and no idea how satisfying it is to find eggs in the nest boxes.  I love my dogs, too, but the “gifts” I get from them aren’t as tangible. The dogs love and worship me, protect me, keep me company and from becoming a slug by getting me outside, and cost me lots of money in vet and food bills and I can’t imagine my life without them.  The chickens, however, don’t love me unconditionally (I don’t think they do, anyway.), don’t protect me, don’t keep me company and cost me a lot less money than my dogs, so far.  The “gifts” they give me, however, are organic, rich, nutritious, healthy eggs.  I’m just thrilled!

Three of the girls are laying almost daily, and Anna, the Polish chicken has yet to begin laying. I know this not because I am keeping watch, although I am a little, but because Anna’s eggs will be white when she does begin laying and the Silver Wyandotte’s are brown.  I’m only collecting brown eggs right now. I am sure Anna isn’t yet laying because my husband is putting pressure on her by telling her she needs to start “earning her keep”.  Two of the girls are laying in the nest boxes but one doesn’t seem to realize she is laying eggs, yet, and just randomly drops them wherever she happens to be standing.  I’m hoping it won’t be too long before she does what the others are doing…actually going into the coop, into the nice and clean nest box and leaving little gems for me there.

Yesterday, as I was showing off the girls to my son’s friend, Amanda, one of the girls marched into the coop, took up residence in a nest box and laid one right there before our eyes.  I couldn’t believe it!  I scooped it up and handed it to Amanda, still very warm from the hen’s body.  We were both in awe!

My daily ritual of feeding the hens greens and mealworms, changing their water and filling their feeder has also become a time of anticipation and excitement at how many eggs I will be blessed with for the day.  Who knew a few hens could provide such enjoyment?


No comments:

Post a Comment